원하시는 결과가 없으시면 문의 주시거나 다른 검색어를 입력해보세요.
Current news articles and science books give one the distinct impression that the great questions of science have been answered, and we have reached the "end of science": the great forces of the universe are known, and the basic building blocks of life have been discovered. Yet nothing could be further from the truth. While countless books have explored the at times breathtaking breakthroughs in science over the last two centuries, none has explored the vast- and crucial-questions for which we do not have answers. After all, these are the burning issues and questions driving current research across the globe. What are the great questions upon which the vast machinery of science is spinning its collective gears?
In Why Aren't Black Holes Black? scientists Robert M. Hazen and Maxine Singer (President of the Carnegie Institution) take us into the worlds of chemistry, physics, earth sciences and biochemistry, to explore the secrets for which science does not have an answer-and the relentless, coordinated efforts to bring those secrets to light. From the origins of the universe and the nature of life, to the consuming search for a unified field theory and quest to plumb the composition of the earth's core, Hazen & Singer take the reader on a fascinating journey into the realm of the unknown. Written in the mini-essay format that made books like Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things and Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? New York Times bestsellersWhy Aren't Black Holes Black? is popular science at its best and most entertaining.
Foreword: The Frontier Remains Endless
By Stephen Jay Gould
Prologue: The Nature of Questions
1. Dark Matter: Where Is the Missing Universe?
2. Fate: Will the Universe End?
3. Perfect Symmetry: Can We Devise a Theory of Everything?
4. Stuff: How Do Atoms Combine?
5. The Quest for Energy: Will We Run Out?
6. Core Knowledge: What's Going On Inside the Earth?
7. The Fate of the Earth: How Many People Can the Earth Sustain?
8. Origins: How Did Life on Earth Arise?
9. The Language of Life: Can We Unravel Our Genetic Code?
10. Evolution: How Did Life on Earth Become So Varied?
11. Growing Up, Growing Old: How Do We Develop from a Single Cell?
12. The Human Brain: What Are the Physical Origins of Memories?
13. Behavioral Genetics: Are There Some Questions That Scientists Shouldn't Ask?
14. The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence: Are We Alone in the Universe?
등록된 학습자료가 없습니다.
등록된 정오표가 없습니다.